Chapter Information | Events & Activities
The AAPS University of Illinois, Chicago (UIC) student chapter is the only graduate student organization on the west campus at UIC. It began with strength of 30 members, but has grown to over 120 members over the last 6 years. The members belong to various departments such as anesthesiology, bioinformatics, algorithms and genomics, biochemistry, biopharmaceutical sciences, medicinal chemistry and pharmacognosy, the Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, pharmacy administration, and pharmacology.
AAPS provides for researchers, who share a common interest in pharmaceutics and related sciences, a platform for interaction with one another to help learn and stimulate professional development. Our goals as an extension of the national organization include increasing student participation in the activities of AAPS at the local, regional, and national levels, to increase student awareness of career opportunities in the pharmaceutical sciences and the latest advances and discoveries in the pharmaceutical sciences, and also to foster participation in outreach activities that is further the goals and objectives of AAPS.
The student chapter at UIC has organized a variety of events for the benefit of its members, including tours of Abbott Labs and Fujisawa Inc., sponsorship of the Graduate Student Choice seminars in the College of Pharmacy, and sponsorship and organization of the Pharmaceutical Graduate Student Research Meeting in first year.
The UIC-AAPS student chapter offers numerous opportunities for graduate students to become acquainted with the pharmaceutical industry and the scientific community. For more information about the chapter, please visit our Website.
Events and Activities
- February 2014: Sponsoring speaker’s honorarium for the College of Pharmacy Research Day at UIC
- March 2014: AAPS Student Choice Poster Award, College of Pharmacy Research Day—to encourage student research
- June 26–28 2014: Sponsored 46th Annual Pharmaceutics Graduate Student Research Meeting (PGSRM)
- November 6, 2014: Co-hosting “Financial Strategies for Graduate Students” seminar by financial advisor Joe Cramer of North Star Resource Group
- January 2015: Co-hosting seminar speaker Tom Macek of Takeda for talk regarding Pharm.D./Ph.D. positions in industry
- February 2015: Sponsoring College of Pharmacy Research Day