Chapter Information | Events & Activities
The AAPS University of Illinois, Chicago (UIC) student chapter is the only graduate student organization on the west campus at UIC. It has been actively engaging the graduate students sharing the interests in pharmaceutical sciences since the beginning of the chapter. Our chapter members come from various program such as bio-pharmaceutical sciences, medicinal chemistry, pharmacognosy, pharmacy system, outcomes and policy.
AAPS’s mission is to advance the capacity of pharmaceutical scientists to develop products and therapies that improve global health with the core values of learning, innovation, service, inclusiveness and integrity. Our goals as an extension of the national organization include providing learning platforms in pharmaceutical science advances, increasing students’ awareness of career opportunities in the field, and also fostering participation in outreach activities to promote science, especially pharmaceutical sciences to the general public.
The student chapter at UIC has organized a variety of events for the benefit of its members and also the public. Our chapter has successfully sponsored the keynote lecture at College of Pharmacy Research Day for the recent years where one renowned pharmaceutical scientist is invited to talk about his or her cutting-edge research to the whole college and perspective graduate students. We also have organized tours to local pharmaceutical companies, such as Abbott Labs (now Abbvie) to promote students networking with industrial experts. In addition to professional development, our chapter has organized multiple volunteering events to serve the public with our knowledge in science or just our warm hearts.
The UIC-AAPS student chapter offers numerous opportunities for graduate students to become acquainted with the pharmaceutical industry and the scientific community.
For more information about the chapter, please visit our Facebook page or website.
Events and Activities
- October 10, 2016: Congratulations to Our New Executive Board Members!
- Chair: Miaoran Ning, Chair- elect: Rebecca Kent, Vice-chair: Karina de Oliveira Lima, Secretary: Subbulakshmi Karthikeyan, Treasurer: Vanessa Nepomuceno, Faculty Advisory: Dr. Richard A. Gemeinhart
- November 2, 2016: Executive Committee Dinner
- We had our yearly in-and-out dinner at Minghin Downtown to usher in the new executive committee members and thank our previous members for their hard work supporting the AAPS UIC Student Chapter.
- November 21, 2016: AAPS UIC student chapter and UIC MCP GSA Volunteered at Ronald McDonald Charity House to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the residence families with hospitalized children.