The University of Saskatchewan's Student Chapter of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) was founded in January 2015. As an emerging AAPS student chapter, we aim at creating a more coherent social and scientific community at the University of Saskatchewan. This student chapter ideally connects students and postdoctoral fellows from different pharmaceutical backgrounds to the largest community of resources available for pharmaceutical discovery, development, and manufacturing. Our AAPS student chapter helps each student member to share knowledge with peers and mentors from a wide variety of fields of study such as biotechnology, clinical pharmacology, toxicology, medicinal chemistry, analytical chemistry, pharmacokinetics, pharmaceutical quality, as well as drug and formulation development.
Our primary target is to launch a platform where our multidisciplinary expertise can meet, nourish, and grow. This is best achieved through the integration of different interactive learning environments that will not only help students to grow professionally, but will also allow them to develop other communication and leadership skills. Workshops, seminars, and discussion groups on career opportunities and current advancements in pharmaceutical sciences are organized. Speakers from the industry are invited to talk to students about career options and how to effectively search for jobs in the industry.
Members of the AAPS student chapter are continuously encouraged to engage more with the activities organized by AAPS, such as the internationally recognized Annual AAPS Meeting and Exposition, as well as the AAPS National Biotechnology Conference. Undeniably, this stream of activities fosters multidisciplinary interaction and provides excellent networking opportunities that will best benefit the students and postdoctoral fellows at the University of Saskatchewan.
Chair: Mona Hamada
Chair elect: Waleed Mohammed Saeid
Vice Chair: Franklyn De Silva
Treasurer/Secretary: Munawar Ali Mohammed
Faculty Advisor: Kishor Wason, Ph.D.
The U of Saskatchewan AAPS Chapter Team:
College of Pharmacy and Nutrition
University of Saskatchewan
Health Sciences Building, E3134
104 Clinic Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 2Z4, Canada
To join: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BFSYZ5Q
Back to top
- April 24, 2016: Bowling Night
- September 2, 2016: Pharmacy and Nutrition undergraduate students welcoming BBQ
- September 2, 2016: Campus Expo Orientation
- September 16, 2016: Pharmacy and Nutrition graduate program annual welcoming BBQ
- September 13, 2016: Invited speaker Dr. Amyn Sayani (Director of R&D Alliances at GlaxoSmithKline, Canada)
- September 23-25, 2016: Sponsorship of the 5th Western Canadian Medicinal Chemistry Workshop
- October 12, 2016: Official visit by Dr. Jeremy Desai (President and CEO of Apotex, Inc., Canada)
- October 14, 2016: AAPS visiting scientist program - Guest speaker Dr. Dion Brocks
Back to top