Chapter Information | Events and Activities
Established in 1998, the AAPS University of Maryland, Baltimore, (UMB) student chapter continues to thrive. Through the organization of educational seminars, the UMB chapter encourages the scientific exchange of ideas and information among students studying the pharmaceutical sciences. The University of Maryland chapter annually hosts a distinguished speaker series where guests present a scientific seminar, discuss career opportunities, and participate in one-on-one sessions with students. The chapter has also implemented professional development workshops to help students prepare for their future career. In addition, the chapter continues to promote awareness of AAPS as a professional and educational resource.
Objectives & Goals
- To increase student participation in activities of AAPS at local, regional, and national levels
- To increase student awareness of career opportunities in the pharmaceutical sciences
- To increase the visibility of the AAPS UMB Student Chapter outside the department of pharmaceutical sciences to be inclusive of anyone interested in pharmaceutical sciences
- To foster collaboration with neighboring schools in scientific seminars, outreach activities, and social activities
- To improve student awareness of the latest advances and discoveries in the pharmaceutical sciences, and provide educational opportunities for students to learn about all aspects of drug development
- To provide students in the pharmaceutical sciences with opportunities for professional advancement and leadership development
- To foster participation in outreach activities to young students to promote careers in pharmaceutical sciences that furthers the goals and objectives of AAPS
Back to top
Events and Activities
- Guest lecture series: the UMB Chapter hosted many renowned scientists from industry, academia, and government agencies to give a seminar and interact with students in small group sessions
- Outreach activity: the Chapter members volunteered at the local S.T.E.M. event to promote and talk about careers in pharmaceutical sciences to students from K-12 grades. We also participated in the National Science and Engineering Festival in Washington D.C.
- Webinar Viewing: the Chapter organized a webinar viewing session to view one of the AAPS webinars, “Emerging Therapeutic Strategies to Target Invasive Brain Cancer”, presented by Dr. Anthony Kim, the recipient of the 2015 AAPS Foundation New Investigator Grant.
- Industrial Visit: the Chapter organized a one-day trip to Medimmune
- Social Event: the Chapter hosted a baking contest
- Recruitment Event: the Chapter participated in the University-wide Fall Fest to increase the publicity of the UMB AAPS Student Chapter and recruited new chapter members
Back to top