The Process Modeling and Simulation focus group focuses on the application of physics-based (such as discrete element models, computational fluid dynamics, finite element analyses), engineering, and mathematical modeling (statistical models, such as LVM) techniques to better understand, control, develop, and improve pharmaceutical manufacturing processes (both active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and drug products).
This group will share efforts regarding computational modeling of pharmaceutical processes among various research groups in academia and industry. Computational modeling is essential as there is:
- a need to work in a highly restrained environment due to increased cost of goods (API) and hence a need to reduce experiments,
- a poor understanding of bulk behavior of drug product material during processing,
- increased complexity of medicines and dosage forms,
- regulatory requirements and Quality-by-Design (QbD) expectations.
This focus group will be beneficial to members who support pharmaceutical process development (scale-up, troubleshooting, etc.) and particle engineering.
- Explore areas of computational modeling to support efforts dedicated to particle engineering and process development of pharmaceutical processes.
- Develop programs at AAPS annual meetings (such as posters presentations, etc.) focusing on topics dealing with process modeling.
- Support other focus groups and develop ideas for conducting joint workshops, symposiums, etc.
Section affiliations: FDD | MSE